Kale and sprouts and endive, oh my!
I love a good salad; a salad with bite and zing and texture and just a hint of sweetness.
And while I thoroughly enjoy fresh, in-season lettuce, come spring I usually only enjoy it for a month or so. After that I start to get bored of the watery, bland, quickly limp lettuce.
Simple, crisp lettuce is beautiful in the spring and summertime when a grilled chicken breast, a head of romaine, and some olive oil are all I need to be happy.
But when it’s cold outside, I want texture, complexity, and flavor in my salad! I want big, bold, lively greens that are spirited enough to give me the strength to brave the cold.
Or… You know… To snuggle deeper under the blanket….
And so, especially in winter-time, I love a kale salad.
I know many people have a hate-hate relationship with raw kale, but this salad is sure to convert even those skeptics.
How? By using two tips:
1. Use dinosaur kale (also called lacinato kale). In addition to being super fun to say, I find this kale prettier, easier to cut, and more tender than its brighter green, curly leaf cousin.
2. Marinate your greens in a perfectly tangy, herby, vinaigrette.
Marinating the sturdy greens softens them to a delicate, tender texture without compromising any of their bold, rich flavor.
It’s the best of all worlds!
And this winter greens salad doesn’t just boast kale alone! It combines kale ribbons with chopped crunchy endive and tender shaved Brussels sprouts.
Our beautiful emerald salad is then topped with diced preserved lemon and crumbles of blue cheese, making it a salad that perfectly balances crunchy, creamy, earthy, and zesty.
If you thought salad had to be all romaine and spinach, please let this incredible mouthful of deliciousness change your mind.
And if you thought kale salads were all tough bitter greens, I’m here to tell you otherwise.
Trust me, this Winter Greens Salad with Preserved Lemon and Blue Cheese is the antidote to your winter blues.
Take that, January!
- 3 cups thinly sliced dinosaur (or lacinato) kale
- 1 1/2 cups shaved or thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 endive, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 preserved lemon, (two quarter wedges) flesh removed, rinsed, and diced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Combine the kale, endive, and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Toss to evenly combine.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt, and oregano in a medium sized bowl. Whisk vigorously to combine. Drizzle over the mixed greens and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Top the marinated greens with the diced preserved lemon and blue cheese crumbles. Toss gently to distribute evenly. Serve.