Hello friends! I’m so sorry that I didn’t post anything for you on Monday!
This past weekend was my birthday weekend and I took some time off from everything work-related to celebrate 25 years of life and to enjoy myself. And boy oh boy, did I enjoy myself!!!
I have never had such an amazing birthday in my life. In my wildest dreams I couldn’t possibly have dreamed up the incredible things that happened to me over the past week.
My boyfriend and sister planned a sequence of incredible birthday surprises, starting with a two-night stay in a BREATHTAKING bed and breakfast in Charlottesville, VA (full post with photos is coming soon!), and ending with a sweet surprise dinner party when I returned where everyone brought dishes made from my blog!
I couldn’t believe how surrounded by love and generosity I am! I am still completely overflowing with joy and love.
BUT taking the weekend off for birthday things meant that I didn’t cook and photograph anything for you over the weekend. And that’s why I had nothing to post for you on Monday!
I know, I’m so sorry. But here we are, making up for it today.
And today I’m bringing you this delicious, simple Thyme Roasted Chicken with Lemony Ricotta Cheese.
In my opinion, roast chicken is the best weeknight dinner you can make. It’s really easy, it’s healthy, it’s really tasty, and it’s ready in an hour.
This roast chicken has perfect crispy skin, beautiful fragrance and flavor, and a great “dipping sauce” in the lemony ricotta cheese.
My boyfriend is crazy about sauces. He LOVES foods with sauce, be it a sandwich, fries, a (dressing heavy) salad, or meat. Especially meat. So, naturally, I’m always on the lookout to how I can make dishes with great accompanying sauces.
I think I’ve got a winner here. This ricotta is simple, lemony, creamy, and tangy, and tastes delicious on this earthy, herby, crispy skin chicken.
Serve this easy meal with some braised greens and/or a baked potato, and enjoy this meal that’s perfect for the mid-week.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces (I used these great half "grilling chickens" I found, but you could also use legs, thighs, leg quarters, or bone-in breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- juice and zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with foil.
- Dry the chicken off with a few paper towels. Drizzle the olive oil over both sides of every piece of chicken, rubbing it over the surface (like you're moisturizing the chicken) so it distributes evenly. Sprinkle all of the chicken on both sides with the salt, fresh thyme leaves, and black pepper.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the foil-lined baking sheet and place in the preheated oven. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes, or until it is cooked all the way through and the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, lemon juice, and lemon zest until evenly combined.
- Serve each piece of roasted chicken with a dollop of lemon ricotta.