I know you’re looking at me sideways after that title.
I mean, who can really say what is the “best” of anything?
And I know I sure haven’t tasted every single lemon-olive oil dressing in the world, so I haven’t done quite enough research to say with ultimate authority that this is “the best!”
Howeeevvver, this is the absolute best dressing that I have ever tasted or made, and so, in my humble opinion, it is the best.
It’s tart, herby, and just a teeny bit sweet. It’s got a great balance of light, tangy, earthy, and rich, and it is AMAZING drizzled on salads, fresh or cooked veggies, or used as a marinade or dressing for chicken, pork, or beef.
And now is the best time to make this dressing with in-season fresh citrus! That means you are getting the freshest citrus fruit that’s at the peak of its life.
Best of all, this recipe so simple and easy and uses ingredients that are likely already in your house. And it has no seeds, no nightshades, no dairy, and no grains, so it’s also a paleo and sugar-free dressing!
This dressing lasts for a while in the fridge, but is at its best when consumed within a couple of days after making it when the fresh lemon juice is still bright and zingy. Trust me, it won’t be hard to use up! (And stay tuned for a springy salad recipe that’s doused in this dressing!)
So grab some pretty, bright yellow citrus at the market this week and try this delicious dressing!
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 2 teaspoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, heaping
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar to a medium sized bowl. With a fork or whisk, beat the three ingredients together. They won't stay together, but we want them to start becoming friends.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk them into the lemon-oil mixture until they are evenly combined.
- Store in a tightly-lidded, airtight container and shake before use. Enjoy as a delicious salad dressing or meat marinade.