I need to tell you something.
For me, 2016 has been the year of leafy green obsession.
Every single night I’m sautéing or steaming or chopping up some Brussels sprouts, kale, swiss chard, or spinach. If I don’t get my leafy green fix, I get grumpy and bored until I can stuff some more greens in my mouth (and maybe I start twitching…). Gotta have my greens!
Hello I am a green vegetable addict and I’m 100% fine with that. 😀
And now spinach is in season. Tender, luscious spinach. Spinach that is sooo good by itself but hold up woah wait a minute! when we add savory shiitake mushrooms, diced garlic, smoked salt, and grated parmesan, this bright spring green becomes a savory side dish that I’m shoveling into my mouth with two forks.
It’s great with eggs for breakfast. It’s perfect alongside chicken for lunch. And my oh my is this delightful next to some red meat at dinner.
Glorious spinach; who knew Popeye had it so good??
Whether you’re a leafy green addict like me or you get a little wary at the mention of spinach, you’ve got to make this Super Savory Spinach ASAP. I promise you’ll love it!
And if you want extra brownie points, make it for your family this weekend for Easter! I respect your ability to share 😉
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 8-oz. bag of spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked salt (regular sea salt would be fine, but smoked salt is phenomenal here)
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, plus more if desired
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the shiitake mushrooms. Sauté until beginning to soften and turn brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more, until the garlic is turning brown and fragrant.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add the spinach and toss to evenly distribute the ingredients and to put the spinach on the bottom of the pan. (Add a bit more olive oil if your pan is getting dry.) Cook the spinach, tossing often, until wilted, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Top the spinach with the smoked salt and parmesan cheese and toss the spinach again to evenly season it. Sprinkle with a little bit more cheese if desired and some freshly ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy!