Whew, that title is a mouthful!
But so is this lava cake.
A mouthful of deliciousness, and perfect for sharing…
Let’s talk about this spicy orange chocolate skillet lava cake for a second.
Fudgy, rich chocolate cake. Smooth, sexy, molten chocolate center. Crispy chocolatey edges. All scented with orange, vanilla, cayenne, and sooo much chocolate.
This is all the heat and romance your Valentine’s Day needs!
I know Valentine’s Day is usually about chocolate and berries, but you all know that chocolate and orange is my very favorite combination. And I wanted to add a little kick for Valentine’s Day… What with romance and spice and internal fire… 😉
But if you’re not a fan of spicy, don’t worry. The spice is more like a warmth, jussa little something to tickle your tastebuds. And you can always leave the cayenne out and make this a delicious orange chocolate lava cake!
This decadent cake literally only takes 5 main ingredients. Butter, chocolate chips, sugar, flour, and an egg. Add a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of cayenne, and vanilla and orange extracts, and you have an extraordinary romantic dessert that came together from pantry staples.
All you need is a small skillet, a few ingredients, two spoons, and some vanilla ice cream for the easiest, impressive-est share-able dessert for your Valentine’s Day.
Because sharing is sexy.
Or… you know…. all you need is one spoon and a movie. Because sometimes you don’t wanna share and because single girls love romantic lava cakes too! 😍
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract (or orange zest, if you don't have orange extract)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ice cream or whipped cream to top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat the inside of a small cast-iron skillet with oil or cooking spray.
- Add the chocolate chips and butter to a microwave safe container (I use the glass measuring cup I measured with). Microwave for 45-60 seconds or until the butter and chocolate chips are melted. Remove from the microwave and stir to combine.
- When the mixture is smooth, add the sugar and flour and stir to combine. Then add the egg, vanilla extract, orange extract, cayenne, and salt. Stir until the mixture is evenly blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are crispy and the middle is molten. Remove to the counter to cool. Top with ice cream or whipped cream to serve, and enjoy! ?