Ahhh this sweet snack is ALL THAT!!! (Oh boy; did I just show my age…??)
These spicy chocolate-covered oranges sprinkled with smoked salt are the perfect blend of salty, sweet, crunchy, savory, spicy, and juicy!
And don’t you worry if you aren’t a huge fan of spicy food. We’re stirring just a little bit of cayenne into the chocolate, so that you feel a delightful tingly heat in the back of your throat that’s sooo nice. And the sweet orange juice bursting in your mouth with each bite quenches that heat and gives you an addictive contrast of flavors and textures you keep going back for more!
Or maybe I’m just speaking about myself? Because I just cannot stop eating these spicy chocolate orange wedges!
I used a pretty mix of cara cara orange wedges and regular orange wedges to make these.
The cara cara oranges are sweet and such a gorgeous color, but they are very delicate. When I was peeling and cleaning them I found it was very easy to break the membrane surrounding the orange flesh. For something quicker and easier, I’d recommend trying the more sturdy regular oranges.
For a snack with a little more tart and less sweet, you could also try this with grapefruit!
Right now is the perfect time to make these to capture the delicious beauty of our in-season oranges!
If you don’t have smoked salt, sea salt can absolutely be used instead. But if you can get your hands on some smoked salt I highly recommend it 1. for this sweet snack, and 2. because OMG what smoked salt does to meats and roasted vegetables is just plain naughty! 😉
In this recipe, smoked salt really adds an irreplaceable complex and savory element to a really tasty healthy snack.
These salty-spicy-sweet orange wedges engage nearly every taste bud. I swear, they are impossible to stop eating!
I kept finding myself saying “Okay, now just one more…” after every single one. But with no added sugar and healthy dark chocolate coating vitamin-rich fresh oranges, I didn’t even feel guilty!
Take it from me, this addictive healthy snack is about to be your everythang.
- 3 oranges
- 1/2 cup chocolate
- 3/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ghee or butter
- smoked salt
- (Optional: Zest the oranges.) Remove the peel from the oranges and try to get as much of the white pith off as possible without breaking the membrane. Line a large baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- In the microwave, heat the chocolate in 30-second increments until melted. Stir the cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and ghee or butter into the melted chocolate.
- Dip each of the orange wedges into the chocolate so that they are 1/2 or 2/3 of the way covered with chocolate. If it becomes more difficult to get the orange wedges covered with chocolate over time, remelt your chocolate in the microwave. After dipping, lay each wedge on the covered baking sheet with plenty of space in between them.
- Sprinkle each chocolate-covered orange wedge with a little smoked salt and some orange zest if desired. Let sit until the chocolate has hardened. (Accelerate the hardening by placing these in the fridge.) Enjoy!
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.