Humans are creatures of habit.
My brain forms associations like woah.
To my brain, a warm drink means either it’s time to relax and unwind or it’s time to focus and get stuff done.
Honestly, although it might not seem so at first, those two things aren’t that different. They both involve clearing your mind and releasing any stressful or outside situations. They both require me to center myself and to focus on the present moment.
I’m not much of a coffee drinker.
For a while I tried to drink lattes and caramel macchiatos because the creamy warm drink meant relax and focus to me. But for someone who’s already pretty wired and hyper, the caffeine in those coffee drinks was way too much for me and put me over the edge!
And I could never get over coffee’s bitter taste…
Then I discovered tea lattes. And the world became a different place! I could get my warm, creamy, cozy, focusing drink without the bitter taste of coffee that I so disliked!
This fall I’ve been going even simpler with milk steamers. The sweetened, flavored milk drinks make me feel that same familiar comfort and centering, but I don’t have to take the extra time to steep coffee or tea in my milk first.
Since we’re past the first days of fall and therefore a little beyond the wave of pumpkin spice craze that sweeps the internet every year this time, to me this is the perfect time to post this cozy, delicious drink.
It’s something I’ve been enjoying every day this week when I get home from work as a signal to my habit-forming brain that it’s time to relax and unwind from the work day.
I’ve also enjoyed another cup right before bed a few nights to further relax me and to aid sleep (as studies show warm milk before bed can assist in sleep).
I love this warm spiced drink, made even warmer by the cinnamon, cloves, and ginger stirred into it.
And it never fails to make me grin when I get a mustache of creamy foamed milk on my tip lip after that first sip. It’s so perfectly creamy and frothy!
What better way is there than this Spiced Vanilla Pumpkin Milk Steamer to relax and enjoy the beautiful peace of fall!?
- 2 1/2 cups milk (coconut or other non-dairy milk for paleo & AIP)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (omit for strict AIP)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- heavy cream or coconut cream, gently whipped (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a medium-sized pot over medium-low heat. Heat the ingredients, stirring continuously, until steaming, but not boiling or bubbling. Remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture into the jar of a quality blender. Blend on medium speed for 15-20 seconds or until the mixture is frothy and creamy.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh seive or a cheese cloth (optional), and pour even amounts into two mugs. Top with gently whipped cream (whipped just until foamy and beginning to have structure) if desired and serve topped with cinnamon.