Everyone in Richmond is all abuzz about our first big snowstorm!!! We’re expecting anywhere from 6-10 inches, and for Richmond, that’s a huge deal. I know the rest of you are probably more than tired of snow since you’ve seen all the snowstorms that have just barely missed us each time. But since this is only the second time I’ll have seen snow this winter (and since I believe if it’s going to be cold, it might as well be pretty) I’m suuuper excited about the snow!
I mean, I know it’s a couple of months too late, but I’m dancing around my house singing Christmas songs! Cause snow = Christmas right?!
Good thing my tree is still up! … Not even kidding… Sorry, not sorry.
Anyway, whether you’re getting buckets of snow, sheets of freezing rain, or you’re just deep in the throes of the “winter blues,” I want to comfort you with THIS.
Slow Cooker Squash & Ground Beef Curry.
OM NOM NOM.
Let me break it down for you.
Lemon, garlic, curry, acorn squash, pumpkin, and ground beef simmer happily together in a slow cooker for a couple of hours just getting all friendly and happy.
At the end of 3-6 hours (of binge watching Parks & Rec) you’ve got delicious, stick to your ribs, warm your soul, spice your mind comfort food swimming around in a thick, fragrant sauce. YES.
Lately I’ve been getting bored of my old standbys, and this ground beef curry was just what I needed to spice things up in my kitchen.
And if I can use my slow cooker to set it all and walk away, I’m a very happy camper.
Best of all, I used FeedMeRachel’s nighshade-free, seedless curry blend, so this dish is 100% AIP compliant! If you don’t need to avoid seeds or nightshades you can use your favorite curry powder in this recipe. But if you are on the auto-immune protocol, no need to worry ’cause you can enjoy this cozy curried comfort food too! 🙂
So grab yourself a blanket, two layers of socks, and a steaming bowl of this.
Oh the weather outside is frightful, but Squash & Ground Beef Curry is sooo delightful.
And since we’ve no place to go, let it snow, let it snow let it snow!!!
- 2 pounds ground beef (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 large acorn squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (you can also use 3 cups of another winter squash, cubed)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, or all of the below AIP curry blend
- 1 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and diced
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, quartered
- fresh cilantro for topping, optional
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Break up the ground beef into small pieces, as small as you can make them.
- Add the ground beef and all other ingredients (except the fresh cilantro) to your slow cooker. Squeeze the lemons into the slow cooker before adding them.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. If you're nearby, break up the chunks of ground beef halfway through the cooking time. If you're not, do so at the end.
- Serve with cauliflower rice (you'll need about 1 1/2 - 2 cauliflower heads' worth of rice) and topped with fresh cilantro.
Stay warm out there!