Today on StrictlyDelicious we’re channeling Burger King.
Today we’re channeling Burger King because you can have it your way.
(Or maybe I should channel my inner TI “sayin’ you can have whatever you liiiike…”)
This perfectly savory and sweet side dish is so versatile and customizable, you truly can have it your way.
Instead of diced rosemary you can use thyme. Instead of honey you can use maple syrup. And you can increase or decrease the amount of sweetener exactly the way your heart desires.
You can use any kind of root veggies that your heart desires, including: carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, potatoes, celeriac, or even Jerusalem artichokes, depending on your tastes at the moment and what goodies you have in your pantry.
And while I recommend apples, you could also use pears and/or cranberries (dried or fresh) for the “fruit” in your Roasted Roots & Fruits!
We’ll chop up all of our roots and fruits, toss them with olive oil, sea salt, garlic, chopped rosemary, and a little honey. We’ll lay them in an even layer on a baking sheet and place them in the oven to get all roasty and soft and caramelized.
Twenty minutes later we have meltingly tender (almost creamy!) roasted fruits and vegetables that perfectly balance sweet, salty, and savory.
This dish was inspired by my incredibly multi-talented coworker Chip who told me he made a similar dish with his family last week, coining the name “Roots & Fruits.”
What better way to serve up autumn on a plate?!
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 1 turnip, washed, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 1 apple, cored and cut into cubes
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon diced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Toss with a large spoon to evenly combine.
- Spread the roots and fruits in an even layer on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and meltingly tender.
- Remove from oven, top with additional diced rosemary or honey drizzle if desired and serve!