I’ve never been one to tolerate cold very well.
My beloved college roommate and I lived together for all four years of college, and she could tell you some stories of the times she found me deep in hibernation mode trying to get away from the cold.
One of my favorites of our stories together is the very first time she ever found me wrapped up for hibernation.
Our freshman year dorm room was soooo cold. We had one of those awful heating/cooling systems that BLASTS cold or hot air, but really doesn’t do anything to regulate the temperature. And although wrapping up in bed sounded like a great and cozy idea, as a psych major who had taken all of the psychology classes she could get her hands on in high school, I was well aware of the negative effects that watching TV or studying in bed could have on my sleeping habits.
So when I wanted to watch a movie one evening after classes, I decided that I would instead bring my bed to my desk.
And so this is what my roommate found when she walked into our room that evening…
As you can imagine, she walked in, jumped a mile high, and then doubled over laughing.
And she couldn’t stop laughing about it for years! It was definitely one of the special moments that contributed to a relationship that will last for our entire lives.
Well, I have figured out a better way to warm up from frigid outdoor temperatures that has nothing to do with going caterpillar mode in multiple blankets. It’s all about warming up from the inside out. And let me tell you, this Creamy Chicken & Cauliflower Rice soup’s one job is warming you up from the inside out.
Well… that and tasting like comfort food on a spoon.
This healthy version of comforting chicken and wild rice soup (that’s safe for the paleo and auto-immune paleo diets!) uses ever-moist chicken thighs, mushrooms, butternut squash, and a medley of herbs that work just wonderfully together!
It’s savory, soothing, and filling (but not heavy). It’s like a blanket for your stomach!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 cups raw riced cauliflower
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. When it's hot, add the rosemary and thyme and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms begin to soften and the garlic is turning slightly golden.
- Add the butternut squash, chicken, and broth to the dutch oven. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. When the chicken has cooked all the way through, remove it from the pot and cut it into small cubes.
- Whisk the milk and starch together well in a small bowl until they are evenly combined.
- Add the starched milk, the chicken pieces, and the cauliflower rice to the pot and stir to evenly combine. Cook for 8-10 minutes more, until the cauliflower rice has cooked and the soup has thickened a bit.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!