Oooo boy do I have some healthy, delicious, comfort food for you today!
Before you tell me you’re done with comfort food because it’s (finally) April and it’s spring and you’ve (finally) packed away your sweaters and wool socks and brought out your breezy shirts and open-toed shoes, let me assure you this is comfort food designed for warm weather.
April is my favorite month of the year, and it’s not just because it’s my birthday month.
April brings such a beautiful romantic season of hopeful, budding flowers; gentle, balmy breezes; and warm, rejuvenating rain. It’s an invigorating battle between bright, embracing sunshine and giddy, dramatic storms. And I adore every moment of it! I really can never decide whether I like April sun or showers more….
This One-Skillet Italian Chicken and Vegetables is made for enjoying during all kinds of exciting spring weather.
Lush, pan-roasted spring vegetables like leeks, artichokes, tomatoes and parsley combine to make a chunky vegetable sauce that clings to juicy chicken and al dente noodles.
Then crispy, golden-brown chicken is nestled among our fragrant, flavorful, tender vegetables to make a one-pot meal that’s ready in less than an hour!
This comfort food is perfect to snuggle up with when the rain is drumming on your windows, or to pack in a picnic basket and enjoy heated or chilled on a warm rock!
And if you can help it, do not miss the preserved lemon in this recipe! It may seem like a small ingredient, but those salty, zesty bursts in this sauce are positively springy and delightful. They make this dish twice as good!
This is the perfect comfort food for our warming temperatures!
And the perfect one-pot meal for spring weeknights.
Note: The photos in this post are for this recipe using 2 chicken thighs, or the recipe below halved.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 3 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 leek, greens trimmed, thinly sliced
- 5-7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 preserved lemon, minced
- 1 cup chopped canned artichoke hearts or bottoms
- 1 can diced canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Dry the chicken well with paper towels and season both sides of each chicken thigh with 2 teaspoons of sea salt.
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until melted and very hot. When the butter is hot, add the chicken to the skillet, skin-side down. Sear for 3-5 minutes until the skin is golden brown and crispy, then flip and repeat on the other side. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the chopped leeks and garlic to the hot oil in the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until browning and fragrant. Add the roasted red pepper, preserved lemon, and artichoke to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes more, stirring often.
- Add the can of tomatoes to the skillet and stir to evenly distribute the ingredients. Sprinkle the vegetable mixture with the remaining salt, the parsley, oregano, black pepper, and paprika and stir to combine. Create four "wells" in the pan-roasted vegetables and nestle a chicken thigh in each one. Place the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Suggested: Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, or with crusty bread.