Happy Birthday to my dear, dear friend Alexis! For her surprise birthday cookout last night, her mom asked me to make some kind of salad “for the healthy eaters.” As I was sure pasta and potato salads would already be taken care of, I decided I would make a refreshing fruit salad.
Sweet, lush berries and melon come together with slivers of fresh mint and a zingy dressing to create a gorgeous fruit salad that ended up being the centerpiece for entire buffet! It was so good, some guests were content eating it for dessert, choosing it over cake and a number of puddings!
My recipe below is by no means intended to be followed to the letter. Estimate what sounds good for you and whoever you are sharing it with. Add a little more of anything you prefer! This appetizing fruit salad is sure to be enjoyed by all all summer long.
- 2 c. blueberries, washed well
- 2 cartons strawberries, washed well
- 2 1/2 lbs. watermelon (measured without the rind)
- 1/4 oz. fresh mint leaves, washed well
- 1 tbs. finely grated ginger root (peeled before grating)
- 1/4 c. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbs. sugar or honey, optional
- After washing, slice the strawberries.
- Cut the watermelon into bite sized cubes.
- Thinly slice the mint leaves into tiny pieces.
- Add all of the fruit and the julienned mint leaves to a large bowl. Gently toss with a large spoon to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the ginger, lime juice, and sugar or honey (if using). Stir until the sugar or honey has dissolved (if using).
- Drizzle the ginger lime blend over the fruit salad and toss again with the large spoon until all fruit is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Garnish with additional mint leaves if desired and enjoy!
I’m sharing this summery fruit salad at the 33rd Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable!