A few years ago around this time, probably around the time when I was starting this food blog, I asked my dad what he wanted for Christmas, as usual. He had been following along with my blog posts and was a very encouraging supporter, and he asked me to make him some special homemade gifts for Christmas.
Now every year since then, my dad asks for the same thing: homemade gifts.
It is so much fun to plan his gifts for Christmas, to be able to use my passion and creativity to provide homemade presents for someone that I love! Each holiday season, I look forward to planning what I will make my dad for Christmas.
This year, spoiler alert, one of the gifts will be this Mason Jar Coconut Curry Lentil & Wild Rice Soup Kit. (Sorry for ruining the surprise, Dad!)
I wanted to make a soup kit that included everything a person would need for a delicious meal, no finding or buying any additional ingredients. The mason jar makes for easy transport and storage (you all know how I love mason jars), and the layered ingredients make it look pretty (and pretty food tastes better. It’s science). All the lucky recipient of this soup mix would need to do is dump the jar into a pot, add water, and let it simmer away until it’s ready to eat. And did I mention it’s ready in under an hour?
Everything they need is right there in the jar, but so many variations can be made!
To customize this soup, you could sauté diced carrot or onion in the pan before adding the jarred soup mixture. You could add a can of tomatoes with the jar contents when you go to cook, or stir in cooked sausage or chopped rotisserie chicken right before serving. You could serve with a dallop of sour cream or coconut cream, fresh cilantro, or an additional sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Or all of the above! The options are limitless.
But there’s no need to be fancy; the soup alone is delicious! (👏 This 👏 seasoning 👏 mixture 👏 is 👏 everything.) This soup has so much texture with the velvety beans, chewy rice, and shredded coconut. It is warm, but not spicy; seasoned, but not intense; and hearty, but not overbearing.
This mason jar soup mix is the perfect kind of winter comfort food, just dump and cook! PLUS it’s vegan to boot!
I’m not going to lie to you. I’m super excited for my dad to enjoy this Coconut Curry Lentil & Wild Rice Soup Mix. And I may have made a couple for myself too. 😉 Winter is coming. (And I am a lazy cook.) We must be prepared.
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway or fennel seed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 2/3 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Add all of the ingredients for the spice blend into a small bowl. Stir until evenly combined.
- Add half of the lentils to the bottom of a clean, dry, pint-sized mason jar.
- Add half of the wild rice on top of the lentils.
- Layer the shredded coconut on top of the rice and the spice mixture on top of the coconut.
- Add the remaining half of the wild rice on top of the spice mixture.
- Top the wild rice with the remaining lentils. Seal the jar and store in a cool, dry place.
- Add the contents of the jar and 10-12 cups of water to a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the beans and rice are soft, about 50-55 minutes, stirring occasionally.
PS. If you’re looking for a very thoughtful last-minute gift, THIS WOULD BE PERFECT.