Do you have a superhero friend in your life?
A friend who, just by living her (or his) every day life, they inspire you and love you and make you want to be a better person? A friend whose tenacity, strength, and inner beauty lift you up just a little (or a lot!) every time you’re around them?
I have a friend like that. My dear friend is a beautiful mother, wife, and loyal friend, and she always makes me so happy to be around her.
She and her family have endured some circumstances that I could never imagine enduring and have come out stronger, more blessed, more inspiring, and more dedicated to bringing awareness to the plight of others in similar circumstances.
But even more than the immense strength that she has displayed while going through difficult trials, I find inspiration in my dear friend’s simple, every day actions.
I appreciate how she deeply loves those around her, and opens up her home to anyone who comes by.
I appreciate how she always makes sure to make me feel loved and appreciated every time we spend time together. (And when I cook for her, which only makes me want to cook for her more!!!)
I appreciate how strongly she stands for the things she believes in, and how firmly she believes and fights so that everyone can be loved and treated equally.
And I appreciate how much she loves my Easy Red Wine Chocolate Mousse!
I made my Easy Chocolate Mousse for her a little over a year ago and, although she was skeptical while she watched me making it, she loved the final result! Since then she has made the decadent dessert over and over again, and I love hearing how much she and her family enjoy it!
So today I’m posting a love letter to my beautiful friend, and that love letter includes a new variation on this tasty favorite treat.
I first fell in love with the combination of earl grey tea and chocolate in this cozy hot chocolate recipe. I was so pleasantly surprised by what a creamy and delicious combination the two made!
Since then, Earl Grey Hot Chocolate has remained one of my favorite hot drinks to enjoy in the cold months. I made it nearly every week this past winter!
So when I was craving that rich, sweet, sultry combination this weekend, I decided to make a creamy, cold dessert version of my favorite hot drink.
This Easy Earl Grey Chocolate Mousse really is so simple to make! Just melt semi-sweet chocolate with earl grey tea and sugar, chill, whip into a pudding, and fold into fresh whipped cream.
This decadent dessert requires no fiddling with egg white or egg yolks and needs just a few simple steps.
If you haven’t yet experimented with this fantastic combination, you’re in for a treat. I’m telling you, you’re going to LOVE this as much as we do!
- 1 cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips (I recommend chocolate with 70% cacao or higher)
- 3/4 cup brewed earl grey tea
- 1/4-1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- pinch of sea salt
- Makeshift a double boiler by placing a large bowl over a medium pot with about 2 inches of water in it. The water should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Heat the "double boiler" on medium-low heat and add the chocolate, earl grey tea, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl.
- Begin stirring slowly and evenly when the chocolate starts softening. Stir well until the chocolate is melted and smooth and the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pot from heat and the bowl from the pot.
- Place the chocolate-tea mixture in the refrigerator to cool for 10-15 minutes. Remove the bowl from the fridge. With a hand mixer, beat the chocolate-tea mixture for about 4-5 minutes until it lightens, doubles in size, and becomes a thick, smooth pudding.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks form. You want these to be really stiff peaks, stiffer than the consistency of regular whipped cream (but not to the point of butter!!!). You should be able to scoop a tower of whipped cream that won't fall.
- With a rubber spatula, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate pudding mixture. Continue folding and mixing the two together until evenly blended and no white streaks remain.
- Serve garnished with crushed chocolate, fresh berries, and/or mint leaves if desired and enjoy!
No, you don’t have to share 😉