Okay, so I know that sangria is an alcoholic, fruit laden, wine-based cold drink. So giving this virgin, apple juice based, can-be-served-hot-or-cold drink the name of “sangria” might be considered sacrilege.
But what else should I call this colorful winter mixed drink??
Sometimes I want a drink that’s just as fun and pretty as a cocktail, but has zero of the alcohols. And that brings us to this spiced, juicy, fruity winter beverage.
I gotta tell you, this is by far the best sangria I’ve ever had… But I’ve never been a fan of traditional sangria!
Fruit in my wine? No thanks. I’ll just take the wine, please!
But this classed up apple juice is right up my alley.
And because it’s so fruity (and spirit-free), you can enjoy it at any time of day with anyone! Weekend breakfast in bed? Yup. Get a glass of this. A classy and colorful beverage to go with family dinner? Pour me some please! An after dinner drink? Don’t mind if I do.
If you’re doing Valentine’s dinner at home, this drink has all the rosy, romantic colors and warm, spicy flavors that you’ll want to accompany your meal (or to snuggle up with after dinner). It can be served cold straight from the fridge, or enjoyed warmed up on the stove.
Either way, you’ve got yourself a win.
And if you must make it alcoholic (I get it; romantic dinners are “adults only”), add a few ounces of rum to this tasty spiced punch.
- 4 cups apple juice or cider
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar
- Add all ingredients to a large pitcher. Stir together to evenly combine.
- Place the pitcher in the refrigerator and let sit for at least 24 hours before consuming. It only gets better over time!
- Serve cold from the refrigerator, or warm the "sangria" in a large pot on the stove before serving.