Well that Caribbean Sticky Rice was mighty good! But woman cannot live on rice and cilantro alone! She needs meat! And she mostly needs chicken. A smoky sweet, richly flavored, dark, charred skin chicken to be exact. A girl needs this, I tell you. And she needs little else.
To give myself the Caribbean food fix I so desired, I put together a marinade for my chicken. Dark rum, fresh ginger, coconut aminos (my soy-free soy sauce), and special spices made this chicken taste out of this world! Now, I normally don’t think ahead enough to marinate anything, but I’m so glad that I put this together the night before I wanted to eat it! The extra “effort” was so worth it.
I’m being fully honest when I tell you, you will not believe how easy it is to make this chicken. Combine all of the ingredients in a plastic bag, marinate it for hours, empty the liquid and chicken into a skillet and cook on medium heat for 40 minutes. No special treatment or fancy equipment, no searing the meat or stove-oven collabo, no added seasonings or oils. Just marinate, dump, and cook. And it yields such yummy results!
I was surprised and so pleased that the dark marinade and cast iron skillet made this chicken taste like it was grilled even though it wasn’t! I crave grilled chicken a lot, but, alas, am not allowed to grill in my apartment complex. Looks like I’ve found my new solution for that!I invited my sister over for dinner and we both could not believe how good this chicken was! A recipe that’s both easy and delicious earns a double thumbs up in both of our books. A quadruple thumbs up if you will…
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1/2 c. dark rum
- 1/4 c. lime juice
- 2 tbs. coconut aminos (like this) (or 1 tbs. soy sauce, if not soy-free)
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a gallon sized ziplock bag. Shake well to combine and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- After marinating, add the contents of the bag- sauce and chicken- to a large cast iron skillet. The chicken should be skin-side up.
- Turn the burner to medium (and leave it there the whole time), and let the contents of the pan bubble away. Cook the chicken and sauce for 40 minutes, turning the chicken with tongs every 10 minutes. As it cooks that liquid will cook into a fabulous chicken glaze!
- After 40 minutes, when the chicken is fully cooked and coated in the sauce, remove to a plate and let rest for ten minutes.
- Serve with Caribbean Sticky Rice for an amazing meal!
*This post contains affiliate links. By using these links to purchase your products, this blog is able to make a small commission when you go to Amazon from our link and make a purchase. There are no higher prices and no extra fees for you, but it allows this blog to continue to run happily! Thank you for your support!*